Saturday, September 20, 2008

Name the Car Contest!

For those of you who haven't yet met our sweet new set of wheels, I though I'd introduce her to you. Several weeks ago, someone turned left in front of Theron and smashed the front corner of our 94 Camry. It didn't take much damage to total it, so we found ourselves in the market for a "new" car. Now, I know lots of people think dentists drive BMWs and Porches, but I'll just say that some of us drive 93 Chevy Caprices. When we paid off our Camry back in 2002, we decided we never wanted to have a car payment again and so far we've stuck to that. In fact, we got a really super deal on this car. Here's how the conversation went:

Theron: The car's listed for $2,500, but would you take $2,000 for it?
Seller: Well, you can have it for $1,800.
Theron: Okay.

Nice, huh? So far it's been pretty fun. Complete strangers approach me on the street to talk about my car. Every kid who rides in it thinks it's a luxury car. They're all really impressed by the wood paneling, the bench seat in the front, and, most importantly, the rear facing third row seat in the back.

The only thing we need now, other than maybe a set of fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror, is a name. This car is practically begging for a name. She just has too much personality to remain anonymous. Post your suggestions, and to sweeten the deal I'll offer rear-facing seat privileges to the person that submits a name thats sticks.




The view from the back seat, taken by Viv.

13 comments:

Danielle said...

Hmm...it's a girl, huh? I vote for "Clarice the Caprice". Love the plush blue velvet interior. My parents' 88 buick station wagon had that same color interior. Oh - and I wave my rights to the 3rd row ride should I win the contest.

Auburn said...

Love, love, love the car. Our resident dentist also drives a piece of hud, if that makes you feel any better! We don't have a car payment and aren't interested in picking one up! I think Dave might have Theron beat though . . . it's a 1986 BLUE, volvo station wagon with NO AIR CONDITIONER!! Holy cow, we live in Arizona, I don't know how he made it through the summer. That wood paneling on the caprice wagon is great though!!

cat said...

love it! we had one when i was little and we called it clunker!
oh yeah, and what is it with these dentists driving such beauties? juz drives an 89' something crappy and the sunroof leaks! love it.

Renee' P said...

Nice ride! LOL!
I think Elenore fits nicely!
Sorry to hear about the accident.
It's so great that you are blogging again. I'd love to catch up and find out what's been going on w/you guys!
Say HELLO to Theron from his cousin!

Kuhrau Family said...

I think a nice practicle name would suit her, like Jan....

amber said...

such a smooth riding car :)

Sarah said...

I have to say I'm digging "Clarice." I also like Ali's direction. Unfortunately, I have an aunt named Jan and I'm not sure she would appreciate the namesake. Anything else along those lines?

cat said...

how about nancy?

Danielle said...

Ooh...I like Nancy. (although it is my mom's name, and no, she does not resemble your giganto wagon, but a nice car-name nonetheless). When I was very small my mom had a crappy station wagon that was named Dixie Datsun. I don't know...maybe the illiteration thing just works for a car. Who knows. My jetta is named Gretchen, but that's because she's a young, sporty German beauty. :)

ali kuhrau said...

OK....the reason I thought the name JAN was good is because the car reminds me of Clayton's Aunt JAN!!!!! (Don't tell him I said that) Someday I will explain.

Annie said...

Ruby. It's an old name, simple, classy, and would definitely have people wondering. I think that you should pimp your ride. :)

Jacob said...

That is a sweet new set of wheels you guys have! I have always wanted to ride in that fold down back seat! :)

Sarah said...

I feel compelled to go with Ruby. It just seems to fit. So congrats, Annie! You've won yourself rear-facing seat privileges : ) Thanks to all for the great suggestions.