Friday, March 26, 2010

taking flight

As the room parent for Seth's second class, and finding myself unsuccessful at rounding up a volunteer to head up this year's PTA auction project, the task ended up on my to do list. For the last few weeks I've spend lots of time in the classroom helping the kids to draw birds with pastels. Then we talked about growing up, what they think life as an adult will be like, how they're different at 7 or 8 than they were at 3 or 4, etc. I had them write down their thoughts and ended up with some pretty cute statements:

"So far I've loved being seven."
"When I grow up I want to be a builder like my dad."
"When I grow up I'm only going to play video games, eat ice cream, and go to bed at 12:00."
"When I'm older I'm going to fix everything up."

After all the kids' contributions were turned in, I scanned, resized, printed, and cut them out then took a stab at painting and decoupaging. The project being due today, I worked into the wee hours this morning, took a break for some chicken pot pie at 1:00 am, and wrapped it up this morning around 2:30.

...


until i woke up this morning and realized I'd completely forgotten to put one of the kids' birds on it. So I added a branch, added a bird, smoothed a little Mod Podge over it, and voila! Now I just have to run it down to the school and clean up my disaster of a house.

1 comment:

Tamaratravel said...

I love it..I was wondering what who did the art work when I saw a photo of it on Facebook..It is fantastic..Worth the long hours I hope..